[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Eric Hilden" <eric at linkednetworks dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  [m0n0wall] m0n0wall / Traffic Shaper Performance Thread
 Date:  Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:32:49 -0500
I have read many threads about the performance of the traffic shaper and
have found no real solutions. I am experiencing the same problem within my
network with having about 300 connections to the router. I am running the
basic Magic Shaper Wizard rules with 3Mb up and down. When I try to share
bandwidth evenly on LAN I get even poorer performance. I have tried setting
up PIPES dedicated to the Access Points on the network with 10MB of
bandwidth and have also tried limiting clients at 512k with no luck also.

My m0n0wall box (ver. 1.11) consists of a 600mhz P3 coppermine Celeron on a
Tyan Motherboard with 256mb of PC133 ram running on a IDE - CF flash disk. I
would think this would easily handle a few hundred megs of bandwidth.
Basically the LAN has a few NAT addresses for the access points on the LAN
side and everything else is in a private network.

Other than what I have described the routing performance works great. The
firewall though got hammered by one individual the other night by a DOS
attack which I therefore just blocked his IP.

The WAN connection is a dual bonded t-1 so 3Mb total bandwidth. I haven't
seen the traffic graph push over 2Mbps yet so I was just curious if anyone
had any ideas.