[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christian Langeland <christian at langeland dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0walll and big LANparties
 Date:  Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:01:34 +0200
Hi there,

I'm the network admin at ByLAN, a local LAN-party here in Norway, and at
the moment we don't have a firewall. I've used m0n0wall with great
success at home, but I'm totally un-experienced in using it in larger
environments.

Some key-data

- 64 Mbit internet connection
- 100 Mbit LAN connection
- 800 users, mostly windows
- An insane amount of virii, spyware, malware, p2p software and so on

... So, what do you recommend; Hardwarewise.

I have two servers already, which will run mail/dhcp/dns and so on, but
what I really want is as follows:

- trafficshaping (yes, it's cpu and memory intensive for that many
users, but I think we can scale out of it)
- easy management (come on, you can't get much easier than m0n0wall :)
- blocking of unwanted users/subnets on the outside (we don't want
external users to connect to a server someone at the lan sets up and use
our connection)
- any more recommendations ?

We want most of the ports to be open, but some ports will have to be
mirrored (as in smtp, where we will have to scan all outgoing mail for
virii and spam)

Also, we will have public ip's on all the computers on the "inside", so
there won't be any nat'ing. (and thank God for that)

The party is starting 30 Sept, so we still have a few days to discuss
this :)

--
Christian Langeland - lchristi at fraggel dot mine dot nu

Siterings-HOWTO: http://www.bersvendsen.com/usenet/quoting.html