[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vince Van De Coevering <vpv at figaros dot com>
 To:  'Jay Binks' <Jay dot Binks at safeworld dot net dot au>, "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] DHCP Settings
 Date:  Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:10:49 -0700
Sorry for the top post.....

An Active Directory Domain Controller requires two elements: 1) A working
TCP/IP stack and 2) A working DNS server that accepts dynamic updates

Microsoft needed to get rid of NetBIOS and its WINS server so they took a
perfectly good service (DNS) and twisted it to their own needs.  There is a
chapter in the BIND 2nd edition book that exposes all the gory details.  In
that book the authors recommend that you use the windows DNS server to
handle all your windows systems (placing them on their own sub net i.e.
win.domain.com is ideal) and use bind to handle non-windows systems.  Set
the forwarder field in the windows DNS to the IP address your BIND server.
You don't want your windows DNS server answering queries from the outside
world.

Vince Van De Coevering
IT Manager
Figaro's Italian Pizza, Inc.