[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Excellent (and affordable) m0n0 platform
 Date:  Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:05:32 -0400
Vince,

I followed these exact steps, except, my original unit had a hard
drive.  When putting the CF card in it, nothing happens.  No boot,
nothing as far as I can tell, even with a serial port enabled version of
m0n0.  Plugging a crossover cable into the PDS ethernet port (tried all
3), yields nothing.  Can't ping it at all even if I assign
192.168.1.2/24 to my computer.  I am a network administrator for my
profession, so I know I'm setting up the network settings correctly.
The PDS just won't boot.  If I boot it from the hard drive that came
with the unit, it will boot, but of course, like you, I have no license
and I really want m0n0 on it.  BTW, the boot of the original Checkpoint
firewall does show the network cards as SIS cards which explains why
when booting into m0n0 you have network connectivity, as SIS is the
default card in the m0n0 config.  This at least shows me my problem is
most likely bios related, NOT a bad PDS.

I'm back to how do I get in the bios with no video to change the boot
priority to the CF card???  It appears the answer is "you don't".

As a last thought, when I insert the CF card without taking out the hard
drive, the unit no longer boots, even from the hard drive.  Pull the CF
card, it again boots ok from the hard drive.  This suggests it DOES see
the CF card in the unit, and even might be trying to boot from it
first.  There is definitely some bios problem preventing boot from CF
card.  Something is different between the PDS2100 and 2300 units.

Chris