[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] No DHCP, no preference saving
 Date:  Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:33:11 -0500
Bill Eccles wrote:
> Oh, yes, the floppy: the floppy drive whirs, the green light comes
> on, and it all seems to happen at the appropriate times: during boot,
> when fd0 is being discovered, and when I supposedly make these
> changes. The disk was formatted on a freeBSD box with "fdformat /dev/
> fd0" no fancy options specified. (I figured it can't be worse than
> "format a:" on a Winblows box.) And m0n0wall never gripes about read
> errors or write errors as it does if I shove a non-formatted floppy
> in there. So I _assume_ that something meaningful is on that disk.

It must be a MS-DOS formatted floppy... Follow the steps here:
http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/installation_cdrom.php

Take a standard 1.44 MB diskette and format it (with MS-DOS/FAT file
system!)
    o FreeBSD: fdformat -f 1440 /dev/fd0 && newfs_msdos -L "m0n0wallcfg"
-f 1440 /dev/fd0
    Note: you can omit the fdformat step if the floppy disk is already
(low-level) formatted
    o Windows: format A:

James W. McKeand