[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill Eccles <Bill dot lists at Eccles dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] No DHCP, no preference saving
 Date:  Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:50:18 -0400
Um, duh.

(Sound of head slap which leaves ugly welt on forehead.)

OK, that shows me that I am a bit more of a novice than I had once
thought because I totally missed the "&& newfs..." and thought that
fdformat was doing the whole thing all by itself (and that the rest
of the stuff on that line is all optional arguments. Really, really,
really stupid assumption!).

(The sad thing is that I was trying to format a disk on a Winblows
box about 30' away but it was failing miserably--old diskette--so I
decided to try it with FreeBSD and a different disk. If I'd just
taken the "good" floppy and thrown it in the Winblows box, well, then
I wouldn't have learned a thing.)

I'll rush home and try this after work. I can't wait!

Thanks,
Bill

On Sep 22, 2005, at 10:33 AM, James W. McKeand wrote:

Bill Eccles wrote:

> Oh, yes, the floppy: the floppy drive whirs, the green light comes
> on, and it all seems to happen at the appropriate times: during boot,
> when fd0 is being discovered, and when I supposedly make these
> changes. The disk was formatted on a freeBSD box with "fdformat /dev/
> fd0" no fancy options specified. (I figured it can't be worse than
> "format a:" on a Winblows box.) And m0n0wall never gripes about read
> errors or write errors as it does if I shove a non-formatted floppy
> in there. So I _assume_ that something meaningful is on that disk.

It must be a MS-DOS formatted floppy... Follow the steps here:
http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/installation_cdrom.php

Take a standard 1.44 MB diskette and format it (with MS-DOS/FAT file
system!)
     o FreeBSD: fdformat -f 1440 /dev/fd0 && newfs_msdos -L
"m0n0wallcfg"
-f 1440 /dev/fd0
     Note: you can omit the fdformat step if the floppy disk is already
(low-level) formatted
     o Windows: format A: