[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Carsten Holbach <Carsten dot Holbach at gmx dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0walll and big LANparties (read: lots of users, lots of traffic)
 Date:  Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:52:26 +0200
> - Yes, people play games at Lan-parties

*grin* Well, not everybody knows...

> And yes, the request was serious, will m0n0wall be up for the task? If
> so, what hardware should we go for? (any similar admins out there?)

I will probably use m0n0wall as a router to a wireless internet
connection at a lanparty, too. It will be about 180 visitors, so not
THAT much. We won't allow free for all connection, because that may need
much trouble. Mainly it's that the Counterstrike fans may log in to
their Steam-account, and for the organisators downloading needed things
like patches and such. And it will be a 1 MBit connection.

I think m0n0wall will do a good job... If you are going to manage a
lanparty, you probably will have some PCs as servers. I suggest that you
take a more or less decent PC as m0n0wall server, something like a P3/P4
or Athlon XP with 256 MB of RAM, or better. I am not SURE if that will
be enough, because of your hefty 64 MBit connection... It's quite a
rough estimate...
The malware/virii stuff is more a problem for your LAN equipment rather
than for your m0n0wall (broadcasts and such). Personally I would not
allow P2P connecting to the internet.

Just my two cents

Grettings
Carsten