[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill Eccles <Bill dot lists at eccles dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  FQDNs and Remote gateways
 Date:  Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:27:25 -0400
Gentleones,

I gotta' little problem here and I hope someone can help me out.
Section 6.5 of the manual doesn't even mention the Remote gateway
field of the VPN>IPsec page, and I really, really want to use a FQDN
here instead of IP address, but m0n0wall gripes about needing an IP
address. And why? Because static IP addresses are getting more and
more difficult to find and I'm really starting to rely on the
wonderful services of the folks at DynDNS.org.

Now, I realize I can use a mobile client on one firewall and use a
static IP address for the other end, but that doesn't work when we
have two dynamic IP addresses that must be connected.

I'm using v1.11 of m0n0wall and, this niggle aside, am completely
impressed with the quality, look and feel of this system. I can't
wait until I can deploy it to replace my LinkSys BEFSX41s. But until
I can use FQDNs at both ends of a tunnel, I'm SOL.

Any thoughts? Hacks? Tricks?

Thanks,
Bill