[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0wall testing site
 Date:  Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:40:03 -0400
On 9/24/05, sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com> wrote:
> The web based image builder is a nice idea, but personally I would
> prefer to find all docs etc on the main m0n0 site....

It will be, from an off-list conversation with the original poster.
Any documentation related to the base m0n0wall will be on the new
doc.m0n0.ch site coming soon to a browser near you.

The image builder is something Manuel mentioned long ago in the list
archives, and something I've considered doing before, but it's not
easy to do safely.  You have to run as root to make the final image,
so you really have to be careful to watch what you're doing as you put
it together.  Definitely would be nice to have though.

As for having another site, I think for development images it could
serve a worthwhile purpose.  These aren't official m0n0wall releases,
but rather experiments with specific new features.  A custom image
with some new feature pops up pretty regularly, but frequently later
disappears leaving people who want to do the same to start over from
scratch.  Having an unofficial site as a repository for these images
would be worthwhile.  Frequently these are things that'll never make
it into the official m0n0wall release for whatever reason (size,
resource consumption, etc.).  As far as documentation, things specific
to these custom images would be appropriate for this site and not
suitable for doc.m0n0.ch.

-Chris