[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Giovanni Moretti <Giovanni at reflections dot co dot nz>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DynDNS lookup returns 192.168 IP?
 Date:  Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:03:47 +1200
Hi
Installed monowall and all seems to work rather nicely except that the
Dynamic DNS lookup returns the WAN IP address but this isn't the
externally visible IP.

Setup:
         MONOWALL                   ADSL Router
     LAN |      |     WAN            with NAT
         |      | 192.168.1.39 ----192.168.1.40
         +------+

The address registered with DynDNS.org is the WAN port address (1.39).
With IPCop it was possible to tell it to lookup the external address -
is this possible with MonoWall?

I'd like to leave the ADSL router in it's normal state with a
192.168.x.x number so that it's possible to revert to the non-firewall
state without reconfiguring the ADSL router. Running in this mode makes
it easier to tell newbies about monowall and get them to try it without
ending up with a heap of hardware that all been reconfigured and doesn't
work :-)

In my case, I'm trying to avoid running the IP Updater if possible - the
various machines on the LAN site can get turned off whereas Monowall is
always on ...

Thanks
Giovanni - www.reflections.co.nz