[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Giovanni Moretti <Giovanni at reflections dot co dot nz>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DynDNS lookup returns 192.168 IP?
 Date:  Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:03:47 +1200
Installed monowall and all seems to work rather nicely except that the
Dynamic DNS lookup returns the WAN IP address but this isn't the
externally visible IP.

         MONOWALL                   ADSL Router
     LAN |      |     WAN            with NAT
         |      | ----

The address registered with DynDNS.org is the WAN port address (1.39).
With IPCop it was possible to tell it to lookup the external address -
is this possible with MonoWall?

I'd like to leave the ADSL router in it's normal state with a
192.168.x.x number so that it's possible to revert to the non-firewall
state without reconfiguring the ADSL router. Running in this mode makes
it easier to tell newbies about monowall and get them to try it without
ending up with a heap of hardware that all been reconfigured and doesn't
work :-)

In my case, I'm trying to avoid running the IP Updater if possible - the
various machines on the LAN site can get turned off whereas Monowall is
always on ...

Giovanni - www.reflections.co.nz