[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill Eccles <Bill dot lists at eccles dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  No DHCP, no preference saving
 Date:  Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:06:03 -0400
Gentleones,

I am trying to get m0n0wall running on two different Dell boxes, each
with one built-in NIC and one 3com 3c990. Booting from the cdrom-1.11
ISO, everything gets detected properly (as best I can tell) and I end
up with a txp0 and a, oh, I can't remember, xl0 or something like
that being detected (it's different on the two Dell boxen). Then
m0n0wall says hello and that its IP address is 192.168.1.1 and LAN is
sis0 and WAN is sis1. (Or maybe they're the other way around.
Anyway....)

So I decide to assign the ports and m0n0wall reports back that txp0's
MAC address is suchandsuch and xl0's MAC address is suchandsuch and
that they're not (up). Trying to use the autodetect doesn't work, so
I eventually get around to rebooting with a LAN cable plugged in--it
goes off to my switch where I know things work fine and to my
PowerBook which is the unit that's trying to pull the IP address from
any DHCP server on the switch. (It succeeds, by the way, when I do
connect the switch to the rest of the LAN.) And I've tried both the
3com NIC and the built-in NIC for this, one at a time.

Again, I get to assigning ports and this time, m0n0wall reports that,
indeed, one of the interfaces is (up). Great! So I assign that to the
LAN and the other to the WAN and it reboots and... nothing. Of
course, I don't know what the LAN ---> SIS0 and WAN ---> SIS1 is
reporting to me, but it ALWAYS says that, no matter what I assigned
for interfaces.

So I wondered to myself, what if that preference is not being saved?
What if sis0 and sis1 are some default interface unrelated to the
real-world interfaces I want it to use? I decided to reassign the LAN
address, then, to a different subnet, namely 192.168.2.1/24 and, yes,
DHCP on with address range of 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.110. And
m0n0wall reports back that all is hunky dory and that it's a good
time to use http to see the config pages at the new address. 'Cept
nothing changes.

Oh, yes, the floppy: the floppy drive whirs, the green light comes
on, and it all seems to happen at the appropriate times: during boot,
when fd0 is being discovered, and when I supposedly make these
changes. The disk was formatted on a freeBSD box with "fdformat /dev/
fd0" no fancy options specified. (I figured it can't be worse than
"format a:" on a Winblows box.) And m0n0wall never gripes about read
errors or write errors as it does if I shove a non-formatted floppy
in there. So I _assume_ that something meaningful is on that disk.

I could be wrong.

Now, back to my story: I reboot with said floppy in the drive, with
the changes to the new subnet, and guess what m0n0wall reports back
for the LAN IP address? You guessed it! 192.168.1.1, LAN--->sis0 and
WAN--->sis1.

What am I missing here? Have I offended some preference-saving god?
Where do I send the sacrifice?

Thanks, all,
Bill