[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Scott Larson <slarson at iowalab dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  route problem on install
 Date:  Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:11:49 -0700
Currently in our office I'm running an OBSD firewall with OVPN
but all the rules are getting to be a headache to manage, so the plan
was to evaluate m0n0 and possibly make the switch.  However I've hit
an early snag in testing, in that after configuring the physical
interface and setting a LAN IP, I still can't access the machine.
I've tried two machines, one with a via rhine based card and the
other with a 3com, and tried both the 1.0 stable and latest 1.2
beta.  In both cases after setting an IP on the LAN I can't ping or
access the web interface, and with 1.2 even pinging itself for the
configured LAN IP results in failure mentioning no route to the host.
      The one thing I can think of and haven't been able to test is
that there is not a second interface in either machine for WAN
configuration.  I assumed it wouldn't be necessary for a WAN
interface just to check out the configuration management.  Before
just picking up some cards on my way into the office does anyone have
a quick answer as to whether or not the lack of any configured WAN
interface is causing the problem?
--
Scott Larson
Network Administrator