[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Using m0n0 as VPN server, DHCP, DNS, etc. but *not* gateway
 Date:  Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:08:36 -0500
Chris Bagnall wrote:
> I have a client who has to connect to their ADSL provider using an
> internal PCI modem (don't ask - long story), which works fine with
> Smoothwall/IPCop, but not with m0n0.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to use m0n0 as a DHCP + DNS + PPTP server, but
> *not* the default gateway itself, instead with the IPCop box as the
> default gateway. Has anyone successfully got this scenario working?
> The only change from the "normal" m0n0 configuration would be the
> DHCP shouldn't be giving m0n0's IP address as the default gateway,
> but instead another address.
>
> Why do I want to do this? Well, IPCop doesn't have PPTP VPN
> capability, and spending lots of money on licences for <insert choice
> of ipsec client> isn't going to happen. Oh, and m0n0's config is a
> lot nicer than SW/IPCop.
>
> Thanks in advance folks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Why not setup IPCop as a router (pass everything) and then connect the
LAN (do they still call it the "green" interface) to the m0n0wall's WAN?
This may require multiple IPs or some tricky NATing.

I do not think you will be able to get around the fact that the m0n0wall
DHCP will give out itself as the gateway address. (with out "HACKING" it
- if the tool does not work it is not the right tool)

James W. McKeand