[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Using m0n0 as VPN server, DHCP, DNS, etc. but *not* gateway
 Date:  Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:35:42 +0100
> Why not setup IPCop as a router (pass everything) and then
> connect the LAN (do they still call it the "green" interface)
> to the m0n0wall's WAN?
> This may require multiple IPs or some tricky NATing.

This would involve passing through double-NAT, which I'm loathed to do
unless it's the only option. They only get one dynamic IP from the ISP, so
multiple IPs isn't an option here.

> I do not think you will be able to get around the fact that
> the m0n0wall DHCP will give out itself as the gateway
> address. (with out "HACKING" it
> - if the tool does not work it is not the right tool)

You're quite right of course, but I'm not sure there really is a "right"
tool here. I could use a separate box running a mainstream linux distro as a
DNS/DHCP/PPTP but then I'd have to configure it manually, fight with config
files whenever anything changes, etc. etc.

It's only a small company, and billing them for the time it'd take to set up
a proper linux box with the necessary services would be... more than they'd
want to spend. Especially since the only reason they're in this situation is
because they got locked into a 12-month contract with a poor ISP. As soon as
that expires, they're off to greener pastures.

I wonder if it could be done by keeping m0n0 as the default gateway, but
with a wildcard static route to the IPCop box? Any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Chris