[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Setting M0n0wall as Transparenet Firewall
 Date:  Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:12:24 -0400
On 9/25/05, Listacc <listacc at ocosa dot com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can m0n0wall be setup as a transparent firewall? I know it can act in
> bridge mode and bridge to interfaces! I don't want this box operating at
> level 3 in osi anymore it's just adding latency to the network! I would
> rather just operating at level 2 (datalink).

umm...  so you just want it filtering MAC addresses/ARP/etc. that's at
layer 2 and no IP protocols, ports, etc.?  That'd be L2 only.
m0n0wall does not support that, and it'd be pretty worthless anyway.

Sounds like you asked your question and answered it in two successive
sentences - the answer to "can m0n0wall be setup as transparent?" is
"act in bridge mode".

As far as "adding latency", unless you have a problem or undersized
hardware, there is no substantial latency added.

Bridging is somewhat faster than routing though, see the example
configuration here on how to set that up.
http://img.m0n0.ch/docbook/examples-filtered-bridge.html

and if none of those describe what you're after, clarify just what you mean.

-Chris