[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jonathan Mezach <jmezach at home dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DHCP and DNS issues
 Date:  Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:58:33 +0200
Hello,

I've been using m0n0wall for quite some time now. I used to run the 1.0
version on an old PC booting it from a CD. It's been working fine for a
year or so, but now I'm having an issue. I've recently upgraded my own
machine (from Slackware Linux 10.1 to 10.2 (kernel 2.4.31, custom
compiled)) and I think the issues started then, but I'm not sure.

I used to be able to go to \\<hostname of my desktop> from my laptop
(running Windows XP) and it worked fine, but now it stopped working. So
I checked out my configuration, but it hadn't changed. So I then went to
have a look at the DHCP leases, but there wasn't one there for my
machine. So I tried to release and renew the IP address a couple of
times, to no effect. I was quite puzzled, cause it used to work great
and I didn't change anything to the m0n0wall configuration.

I then decided to upgrade m0n0wall, thinking it was a bug that had long
been fixed. I've been wanting to upgrade to a newer version for a while
now, so I thought why not. I also decided to use a harddisk instead of a
CD, because of the floppies storing the configuration getting broken all
the time. Anyway, I upgraded and it all went fine. I recreated my
configuration (I couldn't use my previous one) and everything's fine
again, except for the DHCP issue. It still doesn't register my own
machine in the leases file. All the other machines on my network
(another desktop running Windows XP, my laptop running Windows XP and
another laptop running Windows XP) are getting registered in there.

Any idea what might have caused this? I really want it to go back to
what it was, because its just easier sharing files among my laptop and
desktop computer. Any help would be appreciated. Here's some info from
the status.php page, and I've attached my m0n0wall configuration file as
well.

Name   m0n0wall.mezach.lan
Version   1.2b10
built on Sun Sep 11 11:22:30 CEST 2005
Platform   generic-pc
Uptime   00:36
Last config change   Mon Sep 26 20:18:07 UTC 2005

dhcpd.conf:

option domain-name "mezach.lan";
default-lease-time 7200;
max-lease-time 86400;
authoritative;
log-facility local7;
ddns-update-style none;
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        pool {
                range 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.253;
        }
        option routers 192.168.0.1;
        option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
}
host s_lan_0 {
        hardware ethernet 00:04:61:48:23:A7;
        fixed-address 192.168.0.254;
}

Greetings,

Jonathan Mezach
monowall-config-26-09-2005.xml (7.5 KB, text/xml)