[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Memmott at HitCatcher.com" < at >
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Setting up VPN interface with alternate IP range?
 Date:  Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:44:50 -0400
Hi everyone,

I'm running a m0n0wall as a PPTP VPN server. It forwards the authentication
off via RADIUS to an internal Windows 2003 Small Business Server. All DHCP
requests on the LAN are handled by the Windows server. I am running the
'generic PC' flavor of m0n0wall on a 1GHZ PC with one network card. The
network settings are as follows:

WAN Address: Dynamic, using PPOE on DSL

LAN Address: 192.168.1.1

"Server address" Setting in the PPTP config page: 192.168.1.5

Remote address range in the same page: 192.168.1.96 / 28

RADIUS server: 192.168.1.2

Static route: PPTP interface, 192.168.1.0 / 24 for the network, and
192.168.1.1 for the gateway

Here's the issue: It's handing off a 192.168.1.x address to PPTP clients. I
have no problems VPNing from my home network, but that's because my home
network is on a 192.168.2.x subnet. Obviously for home users on a
192.168.1.x subnet, this is going to cause problems. What I'd like to do is
have the PPTP clients pick up a different IP address, either in the
172.16.1.x range, or 10.0.0.x.

When I try to give the PPTP 'server' a 172.16.1.1 address, the m0n0wall says
that it's outside the normal subnet. My question is, how do I set up the VPN
to hand off a different network range to clients? Do I need to install a
second network interface (aka, a PCI network card) in the box, or can I get
away with assigning a different IP range to the one, just in a different way
than how I was doing it?

Thanks everybody!

Matt Emmott