[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Setting M0n0wall as Transparenet Firewall
 Date:  Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:08:46 -0400
Hey Jim,

On 9/26/05, Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com> wrote:

> Ah, I've got a question there.
>
> In a device with but 1 (wireless) card and 1 Ethernet (say a wrap
> board with 1 Ethernet),
> how does one bridge?
>
> Bridging only seems to be available on the "OPTx" interfaces.

Yep.  Ran into a similar situation myself with a Soekris 4521 where I
wanted to bridge two Ethernet interfaces and all I had was two.

When I posted about that, Bruce Mah (bmah at freebsd.org), who wrote
the bridging parts of m0n0wall, explained it as (paraphrasing) "LAN
and WAN both have to have an IP for various reasons as is in m0n0wall,
you can't bridge an interface that has an IP assigned in FreeBSD, and
I didn't have the time to work around that".  With a PC platform,
that's easy - throw in another NIC.  When dealing with a fixed
configuration, not so much so...

-Chris