[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tomas Florian" <tomas at florien dot ca>
 To:  "'m0n0 list'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Monowall on Xen
 Date:  Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:25:51 -0600
Hello,

I have been playing with Xen virtualization recently and I'm impressed how
little overhead it has compared to VMWare.  Has anyone tried to patch
monowall kernel for XenU and run it virtually?  I assume it should be
straight forward as long as I have 2 interfaces . or is the monowall kernel
so heavily customized that it would be a big job?

This would be very useful for me because at all the sites I have monowall
I'm using old P1 or P2 clunkers for monowall and beside it I have a P4 with
1G of ram that is hardly doing anything so I was thinking that I could chuck
the monowall box and virtualize.  And if the P4 dies .. then instead of
bringing another box in I just virtualize monowall on another virtual
hardware in minutes - instead of fishing around for a suitable P2 machine.
And if I need redundancy in terms of seconds there is always the possibility
of DRBD failover with heartbeat.

Thanks,

Tomas