[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "m0n0 list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Monowall on Xen
 Date:  Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:14:30 -0500
Tomas Florian wrote:
<snip>
> This would be very useful for me because at all the sites I have
> monowall I'm using old P1 or P2 clunkers for monowall and beside it I
> have a P4 with 1G of ram that is hardly doing anything so I was
> thinking that I could chuck the monowall box and virtualize.  And if
> the P4 dies .. then instead of bringing another box in I just
> virtualize monowall on another virtual hardware in minutes - instead
> of fishing around for a suitable P2 machine. And if I need redundancy
> in terms of seconds there is always the possibility of DRBD failover
> with heartbeat.

Running a firewall on a VM is only recommended for testing and
development. Search the list archive for vmware to see what others have
done Chris Buechler has some images on his site for vmware
(ChrisBuechler.com), but I'm sure he does not recommend virtualization
for a production system.

You would be better off investing in the embedded platforms like Soekris
or WRAP that have low power consumption and no moving parts. Moving
parts are #1 source of pc failures, assumeing that the power is clean.

James W. McKeand