[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP and DNS issues
 Date:  Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:20:14 -0400
On 9/27/05, Jonathan Mezach <jmezach at home dot nl> wrote:
>  Hmm, it used to work, but you might be right that it doesn't show up in the
> leases file.

I didn't think it ever did, but I know for a fact it doesn't now.
There's been some other recent discussion on this here on the list.

> It should still however show up in the DNS, but unfortunately
> thats not the case. When trying to ping my machine using its hostname,
> Windows says it can't find the hostname. When using nslookup it requests the
> IP from my router (m0n0wall.mezach.lan) but it says it cannot find the
> hostname because its a non-existent domain.

what's the full hostname being shown by the Linux box?  If it's not
the same domain, or a domain in the search list of the Windows box,
it's not going to find it by just name alone.  This could have changed
during your Linux upgrade (though it should pick up its default domain
from DHCP, that can be overridden by the client and I have no idea how
that works on Linux).  Try to hit it by FQDN, i.e.
linuxbox.example.local.

I'm also wondering if your Samba got broken during the Linux upgrade,
since if it's acting like a proper Windows SMB server, it should
answer NetBIOS b-node broadcasts for name resolution (which might be
why it worked before).

If you try to get to the Linux box from Windows by its IP address,
does it work?  i.e. \\192.168.1.2 or whatever.

-Chris