[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeroen Visser" <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall throughput is awful.
 Date:  Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:51:58 +0200
Hi List,

To be blunt, here's my problem.
I've got two m0n0walls connected to eachother with a crosscable and use them to
connect different subnets.

The througput on the first one, subnet to subnet over two interfaces in the same
machine is little more than 40 mbps (iperf tested), which is what I would expect,
I think, since the m0n0wall firewall rules have to be parsed.

The weird thing now is when I run an iperf test on two subnets, through TWO
m0n0walls I only get a measly 8 mbit out of it. The machines are both new, out of
the box, with Intel Pro 100 cards. 1500 Mhz and 512 MB of ram. Should be enough.
Tried to connect with other spare Intel cards which are in the machine, to no
avail.... So a nic faillure seems unlikely. PCI bus speed might be a problem, I've
not tried that.

Another test on the second m0n0wall from nic to nic on the same machine, give's me
a thoughput of 11 mbit... strangely low.

I changed the loader.rc on the CF card from which these machines boot and added a
set kern.ipc.nmbclusters=32768. 512 MB ram would give me enough spare memory for
this..... to no avail again....

Has anyone had any experience with such issues ?
Can anyone give me a hint to try something, preferrably without booting ;-), to
boost the performance, before I call my hardware supllier and return the second
machine.... ?

--
Regards,
Jeroen Visser.