[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Multiple wan interfaces
 Date:  Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:01:15 +0100
> I am a student and in my room I have two possibles ways of
> having the net.
> Via my isp (ppoe) and via the internal lan provided by the school.

You should be able to do this provided you only want to use the school's LAN
for local services, not for internet access.

> Actually i am only using my adsl connection (1 WAN and 1 LAN)
> buut I want also to have acces to the internal server for
> different applications.
> So i need to have two Wan setted up.

Not really. If you only want to use the school's LAN for accessing specific
internal services on that lan, there's no reason why you can't just set it
up on your OPT1 interface as a separate subnet. Make sure to disable DHCP
server on OPT1 otherwise you'll probably end up acting as a DHCP for your
whole school, and they take a dim view of that.

> Problem is: When i look in the interface and assign, I can
> only add a OPT1, and not another WAN. So i cannot configure

Get your school to reserve you a static IP (just tell 'em you're using a PC
that can't get its IP via DHCP), then make that the IP address of OPT1 with
the appropriate subnet mask your school's LAN uses. Block everything coming
in from OPT1, but allow everything out. You should now have access to all
machines on your school's LAN.

Regards,

Chris