[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] new doc site and 1.2 doc changes
 Date:  Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:26:08 -0400
hi Peter,

On 9/26/05, Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de> wrote:

> Any good reason, not to use the existing wiki for this?

We're sticking with DocBook XML because it works well for me and I do
99% of the docs.  The wiki was put up as simply a place where others
can contribute docs and they can be reviewed for accuracy, cleaned up,
formatted, and committed into CVS.  We want to leave that level of
control over the official documentation releases.  DocBook also gives
us more flexibility in easily building various types of output.

Of everything we've tried in the past, going back even before I was
involved and before DocBook was used, efforts to make things more
accessible in hopes more people would contribute have been a complete
failure.  Like the wiki originally contained the entire Users Guide,
after much effort on my part to get it in there, but it was a waste of
my time since not one single update was made to it by anyone else.  I
didn't keep it updated, and it became so outdated that I just deleted
it.

I still encourage people to use the wiki to write new documentation.
Also if you want to update something in the existing docs, feel free
to copy and paste into a new wiki page.

-Chris