[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Paul Taylor <PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com>
 To:  Jeroen Visser <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall throughput is awful.
 Date:  Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:10:38 -0400
Jeroen,

	I have also noticed that throughput isn't as good as I would expect.
With the latest 1.2 beta on my net4801, I'm only seeing 18 Mbps from
interface to interface...  I measured this by watching the traffic graph as
I performed a copy of some large files this past weekend.

I believe a similar test that I used with version 1.11 I got about 33 Mbps
on the same hardware..  I don't know how much the rules have changed since
then, but the way I understand ipf, it doesn't check every single packet
against each rule, but just the first packet for a conversation.  Since
subsequent packets are part of an existing allowed conversation, I believe
they are allowed through without going down the entire rule list.   (Someone
please correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Paul