[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall throughput is awful.
 Date:  Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:46:45 -0400
On 9/28/05, Jeroen Visser <monowall at forty dash two dot nl> wrote:

> Thanx for all the info.
> My guess so far is that the really slow connections is a duplex problem.
> (Thnx for that hint Chris, I was tired at the moment I looked. Some cards are in
> half duplex mode, when they shouldn't be. Is there ANY way in m0n0wall to tell
> them to get of the cursed autonegotiation and set themselfves to full duplex ?).

that or a bad cable.  polling making things worse makes sense with a
duplex mismatch, though also with a messed up cable.

when you end up with a mismatch, is it with two m0n0walls directly
connected with a crossover, or plugged into a PC or switch, or what?

You can force speed and duplex via hidden config.xml options, see the
FAQ.  DON'T do it unless you force BOTH SIDES.  Otherwise you're still
going to end up with a mismatch (and depending on how the devices
other than m0n0wall you're plugging into are configured, this is
usually how you end up with duplex mismatches in the first place).

-Chris