[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Intel NIC Card Model #s ??
 Date:  Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:41:39 -0400
On 9/28/05, Ernie Zingleman <ks4q at zingleman dot com> wrote:
> I've been using 3Com 3C905B NICs here on my M0n0 box.  Not a lot of traffic
> passes through but I'm wondering if I might also do better with some Intel
> NICs.
>
> Can anyone recommend some particular chipsets that are good?   I've seen
> Intel NIC cards model #s  82559 82557 and 82558.  Are any of the chipsets
> any better or worse than the others?

All the 82xxx's are essentially the same, as far as FreeBSD is
concerned.  Those would be any of the several Intel PRO/100 cards.  I
have a bunch of them with various 82xxx chipsets, and I've never seen
a difference between any of them.

But if you don't pass a whole lot of traffic, it really doesn't matter
what NIC's you have.  If you want higher throughput from LAN to DMZ,
or something like that, then it'd be worthwhile.

-Chris