[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Intel NIC Card Model #s ??
 Date:  Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:31:36 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:
> On 9/28/05, Ernie Zingleman <ks4q at zingleman dot com> wrote:
>> I've been using 3Com 3C905B NICs here on my M0n0 box.  Not a lot of
>> traffic passes through but I'm wondering if I might also do better
>> with some Intel NICs.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend some particular chipsets that are good?   I've
>> seen Intel NIC cards model #s  82559 82557 and 82558.  Are any of
>> the chipsets any better or worse than the others?
>>

> All the 82xxx's are essentially the same, as far as FreeBSD is
> concerned.  Those would be any of the several Intel PRO/100 cards.  I
> have a bunch of them with various 82xxx chipsets, and I've never seen
> a difference between any of them.
>
> But if you don't pass a whole lot of traffic, it really doesn't matter
> what NIC's you have.  If you want higher throughput from LAN to DMZ,
> or something like that, then it'd be worthwhile.
>
> -Chris

Here is where you can find the "Intel 8255x 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Controller Family Open Source Software Developer Manual"
http://www.intel.com/design/network/manuals/8255X_OpenSDM.htm

Pages 6 and 7 describe the features of the chips sets. If I remember one
of the biggest changes between these chipsets was the reduction of  the
size of the chips and thus lower power consumption. Think Pentium,
Pentium II, and Pentium III

82557 was introduced in 1995 used in Intel Pro/100B NIC (big chip - gets
hot)
82558 was introduced in 1997 used in Intel Pro/100+ NIC and integrated
the PHY
82559 was introduced as early as 1999 (small chip - stays cool)

The 82558 and later generation controllers have the ability to respond
to priority aware frame based flow control frames. (The 82559 does not
support PHY based flow control as the 82558 did.)

James W. McKeand