[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  yamahito <yamahito at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NAT question: redirect all outgoing SMTP to or own SMTP-server
 Date:  Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:35:54 +0100
> I'd have to put it down as "very annoying" actually. Is there any particular
> reason why the original poster wishes to do this?

I can think of several.  I work at one of the colleges of Oxford
University, and we make most of our profits from becoming a conference
center in the holidays.

The university has blocked all outgoing SMTP connections apart from
their own server for obvious reasons (virus propagation and spam
zombies), but it's very rare that we'll get a conference delegate who
is intelligent enough to be able to switch their settings in windoze
to use that.  It's much easier on us if we can force all of this
traffic on this port to redirect to the university - possibly through
spam/virus filters of our own on the way.

I imagine you'd have similar situations in many areas where you have
members of the public bringing their own computers to join your
network.