[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  William Arlofski <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  "Chris L." <bm underscore pro at yahoo dot co dot uk>
 Cc:  Jason King <jking at informs dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Access remote PPTP server through Monowall?
 Date:  Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:51:54 -0400
Chris L. wrote:
> VPN PPTP server using the XP client..the connection
> >stops while saying "Verifying Username and
> >password..".
> >Eventually expires and says that there is no

Chris... With PPTP you can not have more than ONE outgoing connection
through a NATted connection.

If you have (2) XP Machines A and B inside your LAN making the PPTP
connection to the remote site, and everything is working OK, the FIRST
will work and the second will exhibit the time out issue you explain above.

Once the first machine disconnects and the remote PPTP server times out
the connection you will be able to connet form a second location from
inside your LAN.

Is it possible that another machine has opened a PPTP conection to the
remote site before you can attempt with your machine?

BTW, I experienced this exact problem a while back, but the clients were
MAC OSX - The problem is with PPTP and NAT, not XP, or Mac etc...

Even if this is not your problem now, it may well become your NEXT
problem once you solve whatever is stopping your outgoing PPTP
connections (if you have more than one PPTP client behind NAT)

Bill Arlofski