[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dave Fischer" <dave dot fischer at ridgewater dot edu>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  SSL Captive portal problem
 Date:  Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:04:28 -0500
I've been having problems with the captive portal randomly dying when running it with SSL.
It takes seemingly random amounts of time for this to happen, it could be a few hours or up
to a week.  I am running the PC based CDROM distribution.

The problem occurs in both beta 9 & 10.  I've got it running in two separate locations, on
different hardware, and they both have the issue.

The admin interface on port 80 and all exising authenticated users remain active when this
happens.  Making a minor change to the captive portal settings (such as adding a minute to
the idle timeout) and saving it restarts the SSL web server process.

I've got the process lists compared here:  http://www.bold98.org/temp/m0n0-portal-processes.txt
(the httpd process for the secure web server (on port 8001) goes away)

The full /status.php dump can be found here (IPs are masked)
http://www.bold98.org/temp/m0n0-status-edited.htm

I've found a few instances of people having the identical problem that I'm having, but so far
haven't
found a solution.

Dave Fischer
Network Administrator
Ridgewater College - Hutchinson, MN USA
http://www.ridgewater.edu

Email: dave dot fischer at ridgewater dot edu  or  dave at bold98 dot org
Office: 320.234.0280 /  Home: 320.587.3927 / Wireless: 320.583.3711
http://www.bold98.org/dave/

ICQ: 3375915 / AIM & Yahoo: davef3138 / MSN: davef3138 at hotmail dot com