[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Leigh Finch <leigh at leighfinch dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, jking at informs dot com, PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Extreemely slow performance on a net4801
 Date:  Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:42:43 +1000
Chris Buechler wrote:

>On 9/29/05, Jason King <jking at informs dot com> wrote:
>

>>Does your performance improve when using a m0n0wall installed on a PC
>>with a few NIC's in it? Does it improve when you have just a router
>>instead of a firewall? I notice that sis0 is autosensing a 10baseT
>>connection
>>

>that's exactly what jumped out at me.  half duplex too.  What is sis0
>connected to?  I'm guessing it's running at a forced 10 Mb full
>duplex, and when you plug in m0n0wall, since the other end isn't
>autonegotiating, it's sensing 10 Mb and assuming half duplex as any
>compliant device will when autoneg is disabled on the other end.
>
>I'd recommend setting whatever device is on the other side to auto
>speed and duplex and that won't be an issue in the future with other
>auto devices.
>
>-Chris

Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses, it's not the auto-negotiation, at the
particular time when I sent the details, I had it plugged into an old
hub, the problem occured also when I plugged it straight into my laptop
at 100Mb full duplex, I currently have the net4801 running in dhcp mode
on the wan interface, connected to my modem/router, and it's working
like a dream, which leads me to believe it's the mtu as Paul suggested.

I will test again and get back to you guys shortly,

cheers
Leigh