[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Khitrov <max at mxserve dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0wall forums
 Date:  Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:06:30 -0400
Chris Buechler wrote:
> Don't do as DShield recently did with their forums, where all posts
> come through as "forum user" so you never know who posted the message.
>  That's ugly.  I'd prefer where only users who are subscribed to the
> mailing list could post on the forums (hence it would come from their
> address, rather than a generic forum address).
>
> Ultimately that's all Manuel's decision though.  I wouldn't mind a web
> forum like that integrated with the list, but I wouldn't want
> everybody's posts to come from the same address.  Only way to work
> around that is to only allow list subscribers access to the forum.
>
> -Chris

No worries there. I can't (and wouldn't want to) restrict it so only
users on the mailing list could post, but if you take a look at my site,
all the posts are made from the user that sent the e-mail. Furthermore,
if that e-mail is also registered to an actual user on the forums, the
post looks as though that user posted the message (look at my own posts
for example). If the e-mail doesn't exist, then it appears as though a
guest made that post, but you still see the name and e-mail for that user.

As far as posting to the list goes, the way I'm planning on handling
that is the user that's posting on the forums will be asked if he is
subscribed to the list. If so, then he can provide his own e-mail and
the message will be sent on his behalf. If the person isn't subscribed,
then they can still post to the list, but it will be sent from the
forum's e-mail address.

- Max