[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Fwd: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0wall forums
 Date:  Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:42:47 -0400
I asked the question about "why not a web-based forum" several months
ago and got lit up like a christmas tree ;-). I got flamed so bad, I
was smoking for days.

Honestly I have come to understand why certain indiviuals like email
vs web based forums...email just arrives in your inbox. No need to go
to a forum and you can delete what you don't want to respond to. To
some degree (since I got a gmail account) I don't mind the list server
that much anymore. With my gmail account, I can read messages from any
computer.

However searching for a solution isn't as flexible as using a web
based forum. I am not saying it can't be done, it's just a lot easier
using a web based forum from my experience.

But If I had any influence at all, I would like to see a web based forum.

The list server for m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch seems to be a "catch-all"
mailing list. Everything from n00b questions to hacking the
functionality of m0n0wall, all on one list. I can only imagine the
bandwidth consumption for outgoing mail to everyone on the list.

If a web based forum were made available:

The theme for the forum could be built to minimize graphics making it
very fast with minimal bandwidth.

Categories and sub-categories could be setup to allow (ideally) the
ability to search for a solution before posting.
Installation
+--Hardware
+--FW Rules
+--Upgrading
Connectivity/Configuration
+--PPTP
+--IPSEC
+--OpenVPN
+--Captive Portal
+--Radius
Troubleshooting
+--
+--
How-To's
+--
Unofficial Enhancements
+--PPTP
Announcements
+--

Threads for a particular subject could potentially be indefinite...ie
Support for wireless and pptp. I have seen many similar posts for the
same type of support requested, often duplicated. I can only assume
this is the case because the original poster was unsuccesful at
searching first.

You will never eliminate redunadant posting, but if you setup
categories, you could aleast create a "folder" of likely place to
search first before posting.

Now I'm not complaining. I really appreciate all the help I have
gotten in the past AND all the effort on the part of those making the
list server possible. I am just offering my humble opinion.

- Don