[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  Zone AdrenaLan Melbourne <melbourne at zoneadrenalan dot com dot au>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaping incoming data
 Date:  Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:15:44 -0500
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:32:51 +1000
Zone AdrenaLan Melbourne <melbourne at zoneadrenalan dot com dot au> wrote:

> Does setting up these rules have any actual effect on the performance of
> the connection?

	In testing our new T1, I found that with a download pipe set to 1544 kb/s
during a file download the traffic graph (external to m0n0wall) was very
uneven - up and down.  Setting the pipe to ~1470 allowed a higher overall
download speed and the traffic graph was almost flat.  I'm not sure why, but
that's how it was.  Guess that's why "they" say to use only 95% of the total
bandwidth.

	Also, pick a download server that's not maxed...Microsoft's was
decently fast but uneven.  Adobe's Acrobat Reader patches are big enough to
test with and their connection seemed much better.

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Things to do today:  Get up.  Survive.  Go to bed.

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~