[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frank Zavelberg <fz at tianet135 dot ath dot cx>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re[2]: [m0n0wall] Problem with 1.2b10: PPPoE causes router to stop responding
 Date:  Sat, 1 Oct 2005 10:32:21 +0200
Hello!

>>Switch --+--- DSL-Modem -------------------- Internet
>>  |      |
>>  |      +--- Server (10.0.0.10)
>>  |      |
>>  |      +--- Fli-Router (10.0.0.25)
>>  |      |
>>  |      +--- Dad's workstation (10.0.0.5)
>>Switch --+--- My Workstation (10.0.0.1)
>>         +--- MW-Testrouter (10.0.0.35)
>>         +--- Notebook (10.0.0.2)
>>         +--- WLAN Access Point

> Can  you  put the modem on a switch with just the two routers on it?
> This may help some.

I  can try this, but I don't really see how that could change the fact
that  MW  assigns  10.0.0.1  to  its  WAN  interface  while  it's  not
connected...

Isn't  it  possible  that  this is just some static hardcoded dummy IP
address  that  some script assigns to the interface? I know that Fli4l
does it that way, it assigns 10.112.112.112 to the WAN interface until
a connection is made. Since Linux and BSD do have some common grounds,
I could imagine that something similar is done there.

> After  the  two  routers are they serving the same network or do you
> have two different networks with the same subnets?

It's   all  one  big  subnet,  10.0.0.0/24,  I  added  the  MW  router
(10.0.0.35)  to  that network to test it with a different ISP account,
while my active router (10.0.0.25) still serves the net. I intended to
switch  the default gateway of my workstation (10.0.0.1) to MW to test
it.

> Which router is in charge of DHCP?

10.0.0.25 is, but all PCs in my net (except notebook WLAN) have static
IP addresses anyway. :)

Well, meanwhile I fixed all of the problems I had:

- the "packets rejected" is solved by changing the workstation's IP
  address to 10.0.0.11
- the problem with CF card getting corrupted after some config changes
  was seemingly caused by a defective mainboard. Tested another one
  and that seems to work fine so far
- the problem with some web pages not loading was due to a too high
  MTU. Set it to 1448 now and it runs like a charm. :)

So,  aside  from  the  bad  choice  of  dummy IP for the WAN interface
(assuming that's the case), m0n0wall is really a great project!

I'd  characterize  it  this way: it's not as versatile as fli4l due to
lack  of  package/extensions  feature, but it's way way easier to use,
quite  like  a hardware router, but running on an old PC. And it still
retains all router features a standard user would require.

--
Regards,
Frank