[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Soren Vanggaard Jensen" <svanggaard at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] NAT question: redirect all outgoing SMTP to or own SMTP-server
 Date:  Fri, 30 Sep 2005 05:22:49 +0000
Hi,

First of all i do not think, that legal issues in general should be a major
concern to the m0n0wall developers. Secondly, there's al already "half the
functionality" since you are able to setup a dns name for a given host at a
given domain.

In my feature request post i mentioned setup problems related to a couple of
guests with inapplicable SMTP settings. Actually the challenge for me goes a
bit deeper....

In my setup, the monowall is a firewall shared by 4 companies residing in
the same building. Monowall does traffic shaping on the shared internet
connection and very basic filtering, routing and NAT on 16 IP addresses.
Each company has their own firewall connected to m0n0wall LAN.

Some of my jobs are:
Sharing bandwidth fairly
Prioritize VoIP
Make sure that we always have the cheapest ISP

If we change ISP there's a basic challenge: How do i minimize SMTP downtime.
DNAT would be the perfect tool. Also i would estimate that the building has
15 visitors a month, which needs help in order to reconfigure SMTP settings.
Even worse- if we change the settings while they are here - half of them
calls when the have returned home because they need to reenable their old
settings.

Politically... If someone chooses to use our network... they have to accept
our network at IT policies.

Best regards