[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de>
 To:  Ethan Bonick <ethan at networkinggeeks dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem with 1.2b10: PPPoE causes router to stop responding
 Date:  Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:21:41 +0200
Hi Ethan!

I haven't followed the whole thread, but since I'm the original writer
of the DoD code, I'll try to help.

Am Samstag, den 01.10.2005, 21:35 -0500 schrieb Ethan Bonick:
> It seems like the wan interface gets assigned 10.0.0.1 if a pppoe link
> set up for dial on demand is down/unreachable. Wouldn't it be better to
> set it to 0.0.0.0 or a 169. address to show that the link is down? If
> there any justification to setting it to 10.0.0.1?
>From [1]:

set iface addrs local-ip remote-ip

        This command is only required when dial-on-demand is enabled.
        Normally, mpd configures the interface with the IP addresses
        that were negotiated when connecting the link. Since
        dial-on-demand configures the interface before actually
        connecting, mpd has to be told initial local and remote IP
        addresses to give the interface. These addresses don't have to
        correspond to the ``real'' ones; in fact, both addresses can be
        completely fictional. If and when different addresses are
        negotiated later, mpd will automatically renumber the interface
        and adjust the routes.

So you can assign every IP address to it, that you want. I thought of
having a (hidden) option to change this, but never implemented it.

Ciao ...

[1] http://www.bretterklieber.com/mpd/doc3/mpd21.html#21

 copyleft(c) by |           "MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight
 Peter Allgeyer |   _-_     -- it took over ten years of careful