[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Mini-PCI Wireles Card Recommendations
 Date:  Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:38:04 -0400
On 10/3/05, sec at jesterchef dot com <sec at jesterchef dot com> wrote:
> Ok, so I will have to wait for an a/b/g card.  How about any
> recommendations for a good a/b card or even just a straight b card.
>
> Thanks for the FAQ pointer Chris.

that section of the documentation is a bit in flux at the moment, as
it's in the middle of being reworked.

Here's a bit I sent to someone offlist earlier today that explains my
personal feelings on the matter, including your situation:

I have a 2511MP+, this one:
http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_34&products_id=29

though honestly, I don't use it much anymore for anything other than m0n0wall
testing.  I got a Linksys WRT54G to use for wireless.  FreeBSD 4.11's
hostap just plain sucks.  It's starting to show its age for sure, it
hasn't been maintained in a while.  There are many newer cards you
just can't get to connect to it no matter what, some that require
configuration changes to connect, and in general it's just a pain.
Given the cost of miniPCI cards, a Linksys or similar is a good
alternative - just bridge the wireless over to an OPT port on
m0n0wall, as I do.

Things will improve very much in the next m0n0wall version, including
support for a/b/g cards and none of the pains of 4.11's dated hostap,
so you may want to hold off for a few months or so if you can.

-Chris