[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0wall on Cisco PIX 515 hardware.
 Date:  Tue, 4 Oct 2005 16:30:37 -0400
On 10/4/05, Ulrik Lunddahl (PROconsult) <ul at proconsult dot dk> wrote:

> I have recently replaced my Cisco PIX 515 firewall with a rackmount PC
> running m0n0wall, now i wonder if the Cisco PIX hardware can run
> m0n0wall ?
>
> From what i can se it is a Intel Celeron 700 Pentium 3 Class CPU

Probably.  It's just a standard Intel box.  If it's a 515, it's a
Pentium 200 MMX.  A 515E is a PII 433 MHz.  IIRC, neither of them have
any attachments for storage devices of any type, no IDE or anything.
The Cisco flash is proprietary (and expensive), not something I'd mess
with.

I'd sell the thing.  You could get enough money off of it on ebay,
depending on exactly which model, flash size, etc., to buy 2-5+ WRAP
or Soekris boards, or something 1U rackmount and much faster.

-Chris