[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fig <figmail at comcast dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  New User
 Date:  Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:09:28 -0500
Hello,

I finally have the time to finish my M0n0wall box for my LAN. Currently
I am running on a Linksys router. It does ok, but there are not enough
forwarding lines to handle my needs.

I have a small  base 100 LAN in my basement, and throw regular LAN
parties of up to 30 people. I have 8 gaming machines that are mine, and
a Samba server, an Linux web/FTP/Teamspeak server, a Linux gameserver,
and a Win32 gameserver. All the servers except the Samba server will be
accessible from outside, and the Samba server has NFS installed so the
Linux App server can use it as a local drive. 6 of the gaming machines
run Win98SE and have no AV software, and I want to block their access to
the net. My outside connection is via cable modem.

A big concern is the computers my guests bring in. I don't have anything
to prevent infection across my LAN, so I would like to set M0n0 up to
have my "trusted" machines (gamers and servers) on one leg, the
brought-in machines on another, and allow them to communicate across the
on selected ports as needed for the games we will play. I would also
like to allow access for people to access the fileserver for patches and
mods to the games. If possible, I have room for a few additional Realtek
NICs and 8-port switches and would like to further segment the
"untrusted" portion of my LAN to help protect my friends from each other
in case someone goofs. So I might have WAN, LAN, and 3 OPT (untrusted),
for example.

Will I be able to achieve this with m0n0wall and still keep my latencies
down to acceptable levels? I have a few systems I can use, I prefer to
use a P233 box with 128MB of RAM but I can go up to a Duron 1300 with
256MB if it is needed.

Thoughts?