[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Josh Simoneau" <jsimoneau at lmtcs dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Design question using MONOWALL
 Date:  Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:11:45 -0400
Joe,

The purpose of a DMZ seperate from the LAN is usually to protect the LAN
from any dangers that could happen on the servers. If a server gets
hacked, or gets a virus, that can not move on to infect the LAN.

For convenience, it's always nice to have the servers on the same
network as the workstations, because then you do not have to route
between network segments every time a user requests data from a server.
This, of course, depends on how may PCs will be accessing your servers.

For security, of course, you want the servers in the DMZ on a seperate
private network. So 192.168.1.X for the LAN and 192.168.Y.X for the DMZ
servers.

Although we always try to make things as secure as possible, the reality
is that in most small to medium sized businesses the servers live on the
same subnet as the clients.

Regards,
Josh Simoneau