[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche dot us>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] What to do with an old Sonicwall?
 Date:  Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:57:32 -0500
Andreas Bahr wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I found an old sonicwall pro 200 in the junkyard of an local isp. Are
> there any chances to get that thing running mono?
> A search showed nearly no hacks for sonicwall hardware to boot something
> other than the original software.
> Any ideas what to do with that blue thing?

eBay it.

Not only are they limited to SonicWALL's firmware, virtually all of the
generation 3 boxes (SOHO3, TELE3, PRO 100, 200, 230, 300, 330) have
either a MIPS or StrongARM processor with either 16 MB or 64 MB DRAM and
4 MB flash.

Even if it did have an x86 processor (such as the GX series and some of
the current rackmount stuff) there's no way in hell m0n0wall will run -
the current SonicOS images have a cryptographic signature that the
bootloader checks for.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche dot us