[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Newby on M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:35:35 -0500
Kerem Erciyes wrote:
> 3. Detail a description of your setup and problem, if the WAN is on
> DHCP as I understand, and getting a private IP this is a problem.
> m0n0wall does not allow private IP addresses on WAN interface.
>
> If you need that (3), than happy hacking!

Clear the "Block private networks" on the WAN interface page if you need
private IP (private networks as per RFC 1918 i.e. 10/8, 172.16/12,
192.168/16) on WAN...

Inbound NAT of services will be a bear, unless the ISP does some NATing
for you. Keep in mind that double NAT is icky...

Back to the original question - of DHCP. If you run your own DHCP, just
give out the m0n0wall LAN IP as the gateway/router address. That is what
I do - Scope option "003 Router" is m0n0wall LAN IP. Don't forget to
disable the m0n0wall DHCP - Windows DHCP service will not start if there
is an existing DHCP on the network (broadcast domain). If you are
running an Active Directory, give out the Windows Server as the DNS (you
can use the m0n0wall as a forwarder for the Windows Server).

James W. McKeand