[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Hans Ruck" <HansRuck at myrrena dot ch>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  FW: [m0n0wall] Newby on M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:36:59 +0200
Thanks,

I was not quite clear on the configuration I'm trying to achieve

   |---------|    |---------|                        |-------|
---| ADSL    |----| W2003 S | (192.168.16.2/255) ----| PC's  |
   | router  |    | DHCP    |                        |-------|
   |---------|    |---------|

                  |---------| (192.168.16.8/24)
                  |  LAN    |   none bridged
                  | Mono 1.2b7
                  | Atheros |
                  | miniPCI |
                  |  WAN    | ??
                  |---------|
                      \\
                       \\
                      ---
                     \\

                     Laptop A (DHCP client)
                     Laptop B (DHCP client)

The Lan I have given a static IP adress, as this is the only option, The
WAN side I have chosen DHCP, with gateway 192.168.16.2. The block
private networks is unchecked. The DHCP relay is on and has 192.168.16.2
as server configured. The DHCP server on the monowall is switched off.

I have browser access from my internal network to the monowall, I do not
get an IP address from the Laptop through monowall, nor can I ping the
monowall from the laptop, after changing the configuration to a fixed IP
address.

Now I cannot find in the FAQ nor the message board what to do next.
How can I get the DHCP relay working through monowall ?
Do I need to make additional rules in the Firewall ?
NAT-rules ?

Any help appreciated.

Best regards,
Hans Ruck

Kerem Erciyes wrote:
> 3. Detail a description of your setup and problem, if the WAN is on
> DHCP as I understand, and getting a private IP this is a problem.
> m0n0wall does not allow private IP addresses on WAN interface.
>
> If you need that (3), than happy hacking!

Clear the "Block private networks" on the WAN interface page if you need
private IP (private networks as per RFC 1918 i.e. 10/8, 172.16/12,
192.168/16) on WAN...

Inbound NAT of services will be a bear, unless the ISP does some NATing
for you. Keep in mind that double NAT is icky...

Back to the original question - of DHCP. If you run your own DHCP, just
give out the m0n0wall LAN IP as the gateway/router address. That is what
I do - Scope option "003 Router" is m0n0wall LAN IP. Don't forget to
disable the m0n0wall DHCP - Windows DHCP service will not start if there
is an existing DHCP on the network (broadcast domain). If you are
running an Active Directory, give out the Windows Server as the DNS (you
can use the m0n0wall as a forwarder for the Windows Server).