[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New User
 Date:  Fri, 7 Oct 2005 02:18:43 -0400
On 10/5/05, Fig <figmail at comcast dot net> wrote:
> OK, so the 233 won't be enough. I was afraid of that. :-(

actually it should be, if you just trash those crappy Realtek NIC's.
Get some Intels, you'll get 4-5 times the throughput on that CPU.

It doesn't sound like you're talking about pushing a whole lot of
traffic between segments, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
Properly done, this will add less than 1 ms of latency.

Ideally you could get a managed switch ($100-150 on ebay for a half
decent 24 port), set up each port in its own VLAN, and route between
the VLAN's all using one interface on m0n0wall.

> I assume that will take more cpu/ram though.

RAM, no, CPU, yes (though maybe not more than a 233, depending on what
kind of throughput between interfaces you require).  See
http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/hardware-sizing.html

-Chris