[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New User
 Date:  Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:51:49 -0400
On 10/7/05, Phil Carinhas <pac at fortuitous dot com> wrote:

>   Speaking of crappy nics, are the via nics (like those found on
> eden/epia boards) any better? What other nics should we avoid?

Not sure, really.  I haven't used that many NIC's with FreeBSD or
m0n0wall.  Only 3Com (xl), Intel (fxp and em), various Realtek (rl)
cards, the sis cards built into WRAP and Soekris boards, and one
oddball dc driver card that I don't remember the brand of anymore.

Intels really seem to be the holy grail of FreeBSD NIC's.  The drivers
are as solid as anything I've used (Intel themselves writes the em
driver for FreeBSD), and they're faster than anything else I've used.

When it comes to NIC's and FreeBSD, I've never heard anything touted
but Intel.

If anybody knows of others to avoid, I'd like to hear about them.

-Chris