[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: Fwd: [m0n0wall] New User
 Date:  Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:40:26 -0500
From: "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
> In message <cab3037d6856e0a41c0553eb14f9f8e843466a53 at damonrv dot com>, Fig
> <figmail at comcast dot net> writes

>>I also scrounged up a 1u P3 700 (w/128mb) box and a dual-nic from
>>Compaq.  No more realteks for me!  Between that an the managed switch,
>>I might be able to pull this off.  Big thanks!

> I've got two Compaq dual port NICs in my m0n0wall and there appears to
> be a driver problem with them.

> The problem shows itself when you boot the machine with no link and then
> connect something to the port.  The link light on both ends will light
> but no data will flow.  If you go to status.php on m0n0wall, when
> 'ifconfig -a' runs, it will burst into life.

This is a very old problem with T-lan (Thunder LAN) based chips.  It seems
they want to come up 10BaseT, and it makes them seem to hang.  Windows OSes
have had workarounds for them, but not us.  Resetting the interface fixes
it.  A real PITA.  It is also why I trash Tlan cards.  Harder to do with the
ones on the motherboards of old Deskpros, however.

            Lee