[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Russell Reader <melbourne at zoneadrenalan dot com dot au>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Question about shaping regarding high latency
 Date:  Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:04:23 +1000
Hi,

I have 4 computers which play games on the internet through monowall.

My connection is 1500/256 ADSL.

Originally I had a problem when someone was downloading at max speed the
people
playing games on the other machines got choked, to solve this problem I
restricted the
download speed going to each of the machines.

However now whenever one of them does a server list update e.g. counter
strike, for any of the machines
playing a game like battlefield 2 their latency goes up sky high and
they start getting connection problems.

I have tried setting up separate upload pipes/queues/shaping rules for
each machine, this has no effect.

At the moment I am assuming that its the upload that is getting choked,
considering the amount of outgoing
requests.

Is this something which I should be restricting e.g. ICMP??

Does anybody have an idea why this might be happening?

Here are some images of my setup

http://zoneadrenalan.com.au/melbourne/pipes.jpg
http://zoneadrenalan.com.au/melbourne/queues.jpg
http://zoneadrenalan.com.au/melbourne/rules.jpg