[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kristian Shaw" <monowall at wealdclose dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] install question
 Date:  Sun, 9 Oct 2005 12:12:51 +0100
Hello,

You have to be careful with HP servers when it comes to IDE. I've seen some
that are unable to boot a hard drive on their IDE interfaces - its just
there to support the CD-ROM drive.

Regards,

Kris.

From: Brent <brent at ubtanet dot com>
Date: Oct 8, 2005 10:31 PM
To: Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>

>> b. is installable on the SATA drive onboardor will I have to do a cdrom
>> install(ugh)
>

> There just isn't really any reason to waste a good sata drive, whether it
> works or not.... Buy a CF adapter... and a CF card.  Quiet and reliable.

above reply meant for list, and that's an excellent point.  Seems
every motherboard with SATA also has IDE ports, so get a IDE to CF
adapter.  There may be SATA to CF adapters out there too.  No sense in
wasting a $BIGNUMBER GB drive when you only need 8 MB.  :)  Not to
mention CF will last longer, use much less power, generate much less
heat, and less noise.

-Chris